A PLACE OF HOPE AND HEALING
A PLACE OF HOPE AND HEALING
HELPING SURVIVORS OF SEXUAL VIOLENCE HEAL
GLOSSARY OF TERMS
GLOSSARY OF TERMS
- Acquaintance Rape - Any rape where the victim knows the offender.
- Age of Consent - The age at which one is legally considered old enough to decide to have consensual sex. Age varies from state to state.
- Child Grooming - The act of befriending and influencing a child by giving gifts, compliments and special treatment with the sole intent of sexually abusing the child.
- Child Molestation - Sexual conduct by an adult with a child.
- Consent - To give approval or permission without being coerced, manipulated or threatened to comply. A minor or someone under the influence of alcohol or another controlled substance can not consent.
- Date Rape - Any rape where the victim knows the offender in a dating capacity.
- Date Rape Drugs - Drugs used to facilitate rape. These drugs are usually slipped into someone's drink without his/her knowledge and the person becomes unconscious after ingesting them. The two most common are Rohypnol (Slang: Roofies) or Ecstasy.
- Defense Mechanism - An unconscious way of dealing with difficult situations. (i.e., avoidance, displacement, denial, eating disorders, and repression)
- Denial - a powerful coping mechanism that protects an individual from the painful truth of being sexually exploited. When we're in denial we lie to ourselves about the truth of what happened and who is responsible. On the road to recovery survivors must confront the truth regarding the abuse and place responsibility where it properly belongs in order for emotional healing to occur.
- Domestic Violence - acts of violence or abuse against a person living in one's household. This is understood to include physical, emotional and sexual abuse. Domestic violence can be in all kinds of relationships such as married couples and unmarried couples.
- Exhibitionism - The act of exposing others to the sight of one's genitalia in a lewd or indecent manner. (Slang: flasher or streaker)
- Flashback - a trauma symptom; a memory of a traumatic event
- Incest - Sexual contact between persons who are closely related by blood, marriage or adoption.
- Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) - describes physical violence, sexual violence, stalking and psychological aggression (including coercive acts) by a current or former intimate partner.
- Multiple Assailant Rape - Rape committed by more than one assailant against a single victim. Usually planned and may involve drugs and/or alcohol. (Slang: gang rape or party rape)
- Offender/Perpetrator - The person who commits a sexual assault on another person.
- Overcomer - To struggle successfully against a difficulty or disadvantage and relying on the sufficiency in Christ.
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) - an anxiety disorder caused by a traumatic event, such as combat, a natural disaster or crime (sexual violence), or even a traffic accident. It may affect personal relationships or health.
- Rape - Forced sexual intercourse without a person’s consent or permission. Rape is about power and control in order to dominate and humiliate another person.
- Sex Offender Registry - An online and/or print registry of sex offenders. Registries are established within states and an offender is usually required to register after they have been convicted and have served their sentence for a sex crime.
- Sexual Abuse - any sexual activity (verbal, visual or physical) engaged in without consent, which may be emotionally or physically harmful and which exploits a person in order to meet another person's sexual or emotional needs.
- Sexual Abuse Trigger - an emotional or physical reaction to something in the present that is connected to the past abuse.
- Sexual Assault - An umbrella term that covers various unlawful sexual activity whether it is verbal, by physical force, or coercion. (i.e., child molestation, multiple assailant rape, incest, spousal rape, date rape, stranger rape, statutory rape, acquaintance rape, and sexual harassment)
- Sexual Harassment - Uninvited and unwelcomed verbal or physical behavior of a sexual nature especially by a person in authority toward a subordinate (as an employee or student).
- Spousal Rape - A non-consensual sexual assault in which the perpetrator is the victim's spouse. Also referred to as marital rape.
- Statutory Rape - Sexual intercourse between an adult and anyone who is below the age of consent, whether or not it is consensual.
- Stranger Rape - The victim/survivor and perpetrator/assailant do not know each other.
- Survivor - A person who was victimized by sexual assault, sexual abuse, child abuse,or domestic violence, who is coping/healing from the long-term effects of the trauma suffered. The term "survivor" is often used instead of the term "victim" in order to reclaim power.
- Trauma - an extremely distressing experience that causes severe emotional shock and may have long-lasting psychological effects.
- Victim - A term for someone who has been through an assault or abuse experience; a person destroyed by, or suffering grievous injury from another.
- Victim Mentality - A mindset in which a person who was once a victim continues in old thought patterns of feeling powerless, even when the victimization has ended.
- Voyeurism - Looking at someone in an inappropriate or lewd manner without their knowledge. (Slang: peeping tom)